Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:54:05 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Joseph A. Mallett" <jmallett@xMach.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Evan Leibovitch on BSD

At 04:18 PM 6/12/2001, Joseph A. Mallett wrote:

>Bretty, I disagree. There IS no point. If he believes a word of what he
>wrote he's in bigger trouble than anyone could turn back around. Welcome
>to GNU/FUD 1.0.

Sadly, it appears that he DOES believe what he wrote. He just sent me an
e-mail in which he claimed that BSDi had failed (when in fact it was
the subject of an acquisition that was quite lucrative for its owners)
and that "the supposedly "business hostile" GPL is attracting all kinds
and sizes of companies who have done their legal and business-model homework."
(Never mind that they're pretty much all going under, as Eazel has.)

He also cannot so much as fathom the notion that the GPL might be
unethical -- despite the explicit statements of Richard Stallman,
the author of the GPL, that it was intended to hurt programmers and
to "punish" small software developers (in particular, the spinoffs
from the MIT AI Lab).

Evan's e-mail address is "evan@starnix.com".

>There really are better places you can target youyr
>energies than by feeding these trolls. Hell, it's _ZDnet_ what do you
>expect.

It's a pretty big organization. Perhaps, now that they have at least
two Linux columnists, we can get them to carry one BSD columnist.

>On a related note, did you ever get any financial records for FSF? I tried
>a few times with nicely-worded emails to no avail. In fact, any questions
>I sent them were promptly ignored.

Legally, they have to let you see their Form 990. But you may have to
walk into their office in Cambridge to do so.

--Brett