Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:28:52 +0900
From:      mistral@imasy.or.jp (Yoshihiko SARUMARU)
To:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desktop selection on sysinstall and available packages inCD-ROM

> We usually go to some trouble to make sure that all the packages
> referenced by sysinstall are there on the disc #1 image.  Can you
> verify that these items are still missing in the 4.3-rc2 ISO?  If you
> can tell us precisely what's missing, we can make sure that this
> doesn't happen for the next one or, certainly, for 4.3-RELEASE.

OK. I tested again with 4.3rc2-install.iso.
The result is the same as rc1.

- WindowMaker doesn't exist (all depended files seems exist).
- fvwm installed successfully, but it is fvwm-1.24r.
- KDE installation failed. kdesupport-2.1 require qt-2.2.4_1,
  but CD-ROM has only qt-2.3.0.

- GNOME + Sawfish has no problem.
- GNOME + Enlightenment has no problem.
- afterstep seems no problem.
  (I'm using afterstep-i18n).

WindowMaker issue is maybe only packing problem, and KDE issue
is maybe temporal incompatibility of package (latest build of
kdesupport on bento already depends on qt-2.3.0).

But fvwm issue seems more serious.
First problem is that both fvwm-1 and fvwm-2 are named fvwm.tgz
in packages/Latest/. I don't know which will be win in this race.
Second problem is fvwm2 executable is named fvwm2 (not fvwm).
Third problem is fvwm2 package doesn't install any rc file, and
has no way to spawn xterm or any other X clients.

If this menu means to install fvwm 1, then fvwm Desktop is
perfect. It starts with xterm and full functional left button
menu. Only identifier in source code of sysinstall is the problem.

Thanks again,

--
Yoshihiko SARUMARU
mail: mistral@imasy.or.jp       web: http://www.imasy.or.jp/~mistral/