Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:05:50 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        threads@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Obsoleting libc_r: How to create compat links

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

Funny thing: reading your commit mail, and right after that
receiving this message.  :-)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:56:07AM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> [Ruslan added for his insights]
>=20
> Ok,
>=20
> I decided to obsolete libc_r on ia64 so that I can de-pessimize the
> setjmp/longjmp code some time before 5.2 and have sufficient time to
> deal with problems due to not having libc_r.
>=20
> One thing we probably want to do is create compatibility links from
> libc_r* to libthr* or libkse*. At this time I libthr is tested on
> ia64, so I opt to have libc_r linked to libthr. What's the best way
> to do that, so that it can be used for other platforms in due time?
>=20
First off, symlinking won't help old binaries that were linked
dynamically with libc_r.so.X, but you're supposed to well know
that already.  :-)

So, the only useful option that is left is to symlink the static
and dymanic libraries (.a and .so, but not .so.X), and this can
be done in libc_r/Makefile using SYMLINKS (for MACHINE_ARCH of
ia64 only).

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,