Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 06:05:48 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: .profile exports

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 groggy@iname.com wrote:

actually, i need to be more specific,
since this problem only occurs in certain
circumstances ...

#!/bin/sh
echo ~/.profile
export TERM=cons25
ENV=~/.shinit; export ENV
echo

if the above is my .profile, with aliases in
~./shinit (as follows), the first alias, "a",
does not work ...  i apologize for not checking
further possibilities before my original post.

#!/bin/sh
#echo ~/.shinit
set -E
alias     a="alias    |   sort   |   more"
alias     q="cd /home/abc;              l"

> i've noticed this wierd problem
> since 1.5 RELEASE's ...
>
> in a users ".profile" :
>
> export VARIABLE=value
>
> never works. only :
>
> VARIABLE=value; export VARIABLE
>
> works.  even :
>
> export VARIABLE1=value1
> VARIABLE=value2; export VARIABLE2
>
> causes neither variable to be set.
> is this a bug, or is there a logical
> explanation?

 For the best in *Quality and Price* call PCWare
 for all your Hardware and Internetworking needs!

     Ph. 907-522-8572   Anchorage, AK  U.S.A.

 FingerPrint BA09868C 1B995204 58410FD3 A5E7B2DA
 http://www.poboxes.com/plan9 * groggy@iname.com