Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:45:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
To:        Douglas Hall <doug@fearless.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic with PNPBIOS on Sony Vaio

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Douglas Hall wrote:

> Other suggestions were to do 'options PNPBIOS' in the kernel config, this
> however causes the system to panic with a 'Fatal Trap 9 - General
> Protection Fault' on boot.

I have been playing with a similar Vaio, the PCG-GRX516MD (wasn't it much
easier when Sony model numbers were saner?) and this does the same thing
under 4.7-Release.

I suspect that all I am losing is the modem (which was unlikely to work
anyway) and the sound - so its not a terrible loss but there is something
sinister going on in here :(

I don't want to send pages of verbose debug to the list, but I booted the
notebook using serial console and captured the output - the debug (and kernel
config) is stashed at: http://www.prt.org/vaio-panic.txt - so if anyone has
any bright ideas I'm sure that Doug and I would be very glad to hear of them.

Thanks,

--
Paul