Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:23:55 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1020096894.f181a3@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packaging base

[-hackers cc removed]

Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 12:14 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :

> In <F371CBE0-5796-11D6-A725-0050E4A0BB3F@anarcat.ath.cx>, Antoine=20
> Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> typed:
>> Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 11:12 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :
>>> In <20020424121651.GA317@lenny.anarcat.dyndns.org>, The Anarcat
>>> <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org> typed:
That's
>>> Your simple shell script has to prompt for floppies. That needs UI
>>> code. The people who know have decided that the current UI code =
isn't
>>> up to snuff. Hence libh.
>> Come on.. The current package system and sysinstall are quite good at
>> prompting for a simple yes/no question. The issue is really not=20
>> there, I
>> think.
>
> I'm not really sure - I haven't poked at the source to see what would
> have to change to make all that work.

a simple read() (in C) or read(1) (in sh) would do. :)

>> Libh is developping a UI, fine. But we need to develop a way to =
package
>> base efficiently.
>
> Correct. I believe that's part of the libh project. You apparently
> don't.

no, i don't. packaging the base system would imply modifying the base=20
system build system, and libh is developped apart from the base system.

> I actually think you could start this project and use the libh
> list to communicate the work. If you can make it work with the current
> sysinstall, great. If not - well, you'll at least have the package
> system ready for when libh gets there.

that's exactly what I'm saying, except that the libh context isn't=20
necessarly the proper one. There's also the binup project involved.

>> And libh will meet resistance not only from being a brand new system,
>> but also at trying to package base, which will break havoc among
>> developpers.
>
> How many developers use sysinstall, vs. rebuilding from source? Those
> are the only ones who are liable to care. If it's done right, then the
> new sysinstall should have packages defined by the NO* variables in
> /etc/defaults/make.conf, and should set the appropriate flags in
> /etc/make.conf for each part you don't load.

Please no. Please let's get rid of those variables. Please lets just=20
seperate the different parts of the tree clearly and isolate their=20
dependencies and let the developper make install where he wants. Using=20=

variables, we'll end up with hundreds of them. It will be a maintenance=20=

nightmare.

installworld is somehow doomed to go in the new scheme, as everything=20
will be a package and the line between base and ports will be blurred.=20=

Everything installed through this procedure will have to be registered=20=

through the package system.

>> That's why I think the libh vs sysinstall and bin.xx vs base.tgz =
issues
>> must be separated.
>
> As I pointed out above, that separation doesn't have to mean pulling
> the bin.xxx vs. base.tgz stuff out of libh. The two can happen in
> parallel.

my point exactly. And that's why the base packaging is somehow=20
irrelevant to libh, as libh could technically be used to install=20
anything that would be packaged.

>> I am not sure jkh would say that libh was written to repackage the =
base
>> system. It seemed kind of implicit in the design documents, wasn't =
it?

> No, he wouldn't say libh was written to repackage the base system. He
> would say that repackaging the base system was one of the goals of the
> libh project.

ah.

> 	<mike

A.