Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 1995 20:49:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Charles J. McGee" <cmcgee@cais.cais.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation of FreeBSD 2.0

        I downloaded the install document from your most recent SNAP
update and that got me through the disk space allocation and assign
portion of the installation process.  When I try to (P)roceed past
that point, the install bombs and then reboots.
        When I (P)roceed and type [Y]es ("go ahead and take my last
chance") two screens/boxes flash up.  I can't read the first one
even though I have done this a number of times.  (Hey!  Those
Pentiums may not be able to add, but they sure are fast at it!)  The
second box comes up with a title of FATAL and the message in the box
is "Exec(/stand/newfs) failed, code=5888".  Anyone know what a 5888
error is?  For that matter, is there anywhere that all error codes
are listed?
        I've tried multiple times, changing allocation sizes and
assigning only '/' and 'swap', '/', 'swap' and 'usr', etc.  The only
difference, except for sizes, that I can see from the examples in the
install document is that my DOS partition(s) always show up after the
'c' and 'd' slices (i.e. either 'e' {primary DOS} or 'e' and 'f' for
{primary and secondary DOS partitions}).  In the install document,
the DOS partition is always at the end of the list in slice 'h'.  Is
that significant?  What should I try next?
        As I said in my previous question, I am trying to install 2.0
on a Dell OmniPlex Pentium 90MHZ with 32MB RAM and one 2GB hard disk/
NEC 3X CRDROM drive on an Adaptec 1740 SCSI adapter.