Date:      28 Jul 1995 23:01:32 GMT
From:      Jordon_Davidson@tvo.org (Jordon Davidson)
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Setup Trouble

Hello FreeBSD people,
I have purchased your operating system on CD from Walnut Creek and I'm having
a devil of a time getting it to setup.

I am running a 75MHz Pentium box with 32 MB on board, an Adaptec AHA-1540CF
SCSI board connected to a Conner 4.2 GB hard drive and 3 Panasonic CR-504-B
CD-Rom drives.

I have made boot and cpio floppies using both the batch file and manually
with the same effect, a fatal system crash when BSD tries to newfs the
partitions.

I have reserved 55MB for a dos slice in the first one and the rest is
set for FreeBSD on the next slice. In that slice I have the partitions
as follows:

        a       32MB    /
        b       64MB    swap
        e       55MB    /dos
        f       200MB   /usr
        g       100MB   /usr/local
        h       3600MB  /usr/users

When I hit Proceed to complete the installation I receive the following error
message.
        EXEC(/stand/newfs) Failed, code=5888

and the debug editor reads:
        Debug <10>
        Progress <newfs/dev/rsd0a>
        With a block size of 32768 minimum bytes per inode is 5990
        Minimum bytes per inode is 5990
        With 16065 sectors per cylinder, minimum cylinders per group
                 is 64
        This requires the block size to be changed from 8192 to 37768
                and the fragment size to be changed from 1024 to 4096

By setting up under the Fixit utility I receive the following fatal
error:
        EXEC(/stand/fsck) Failed, code=8
with debug message:
        Debug <10>
        Progress <fsck -y /dev/rsd0a>
        ** /dev/rsd0a
        BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

Admittedly I ran this without the benefit of a complete installation.

Next I tried to run the /kernel at bootup with the various extentions
although I've no idea what they do, trial and error hoping one of them
would allow me to reset the block and fragment sizes.

/kernel -b yielded the extra debug text:
        Debug <Loading boot code from /stand/sdboot>
        Debug <Loading boot code from /stand/bootsd>
        Debug <seeking to byte 57576960>
        Debug <10>
        and then the same error message as the first one.

I'm sure the problem is minor but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.
A prompt response would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Jordon Davidson,
Neptune Internet Services.

P.S. I'm sure you already knew this but the instructions for making the boot
floppies manualy erroneously refers to the dos_tool directory as 'dos-tool'.
La-Tor,
Jordon.