Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:31:16 +0100
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@host-1012.news.landeg.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        avleeuwen@piwebs.com
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Opera press release

> identification now reports to web sites I visit that I'm running FreeBS=
> (instead of Linux), and that's a Good Thing.

Hee hee, mine has always reported:

HTTP_USER_AGENT=3DOpera/6.03 (FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE i386; U)  [en]

, due to being able to change it in the SQUID cache I use locally!

(though that doesn't work for javascript, or https connections)

Though I've just read Matthew Fullers solution to the same problem, which=
=20
looks much better... sigh.. I'll be trying that one shortly !

> Probably because they got all these emails asking for a native FreeBSD
> version :) (yes, I'm guilty).

A good sort of guilt, though!

[ In another message : ]
=20
> OK, I just asked - There will be a seperate license for the FreeBSD ver=
sion.
>The current internal builds already use this seperate license. The final=
=20

Thats bad news. Assuming that they won't allow "swaps", alot of people wi=
ll
stay with Linux if they've paid for the license, which will skew their us=
age=20
figures to FreeBSD's disadvantage.

Any chance you can persuade them to offer a swap - at least initially - s=
eeing=20
as we were unable to get a FreeBSD license, but still paid for the "secon=
d=20
best option", and also, if they allow a swap, it will make their FreeBSD=20
usage figures more accurate.

Ummm, is it true the linux plugins won't work with the FreeBSD native ver=
sion=20
- even with the linuxator installed ?

Cheers,
Jamie