Date:      Wed, 7 May 2008 16:07:32 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Mike Bowie <mbowie@buzmo.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/eclipse update?

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:43:13PM -0700, Mike Bowie wrote:
> Rick C. Petty wrote:
> >
> >That has not been true in the past.  I've had troubles with the update
> >mechanisms for eclipse as new as 3.2.1.
> >
> Have the update issues been show-stoppers in terms of "ultimately
> without resolution"?  I guess more to the point, are they issues that
> maintaining a port would resolve?

I was unable to resolve the problems.  I also spent a lot of time trying to
get both eclipse 3.2.x and eclipse 3.3.x running on my systems (before the
ports were maintained).  If eclipse 3.2.1 is ever removed from the ports
tree, I have backups of all the distfiles and ports directories and will
continue to use them until eclipse fixes the behavior I described.

> >My suggestion is to keep a java/eclipse321 or java/eclipse32 around which
> >is the current java/eclipse.
> >
> I think that would be a smart move... at least for a minor version or
> two back.  The goal being maximum usability, an end to which I think
> this makes sense.

Agreed.  I stopped using 3.1 after using 3.2 enough to realize it was
improved.  Maybe 3.3 will eventually add a preference to always pop up the
dialog on refactoring.  Or maybe I'll get around to simplifying the key
sequence.  For the meantime, I'm running into ENOTIME.

> Interesting "New Zealand connection" trifecta we seem to have so far...
> Jon looks to be *in* NZ, I'm *from* NZ and Rick's "kiwi-computer.com"
> rounds it out.  (Although who's to say if there's a really connection
> there, besides the name of our native flightless bird.)

Haha!  I named mine after the fruit, not the bird.  But I appreciate the
resemblence! =)

-- Rick C. Petty