Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:27:48 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, "Joey Garcia" <bear@unix.homeip.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Anyone going to Comdex next week?

Re-reading my comment I think it's a bad edit on my part.

Your right in what you say, but what I was talking about is
improvements in the "mortal" technology.  They are getting
further along the diminishing returns line and as such
fewer "mortals" are thinking about hardware, thus less
interest in general.

What I've seen happen with new technology is that in the
past there's always the first "guinea pigs".  I remember
when Grand Junction came out with their early 100Mbt hubs
attending a dog and pony show.  I sat there and thought
"this is cool stuff yes but who in the hell is Grand
Junction"  Most of the other tech managers there were
swallowing the idea that this one product was going to
make Grand Junction the new master hub vendor and the
old hub companies like 3com were going to fade into the
dust.  They were lining up with their $20K in hand.

Of course we all know what happened there.  Today most of
the other managers with the $20K in hand think like I did
and they won't put the folding green out even if the new
technology runs around the room and makes dinner for them
in addition to doing what it's supposed to do.  This does
put the crimp in new hardware introduction because the
companies that are introducing it need a lot of those
$20K payments to move the hardware from the early
adopter stage "heroic" to a product with some longevity.
"mortal"  And those $20K payments have to come from the
mortals that are conned into coughing them up, because
there's not enough of the "I see the new toy and I got
unlimited cash to burn on it" people to finance the
movement from "heroic" to "mortal"

>> And, also today, GNU and Free software is more and more important, and
>> Windows and other commercial software is getting less important, and
>> the new cool things in software aren't being introduced by people like
>> Apple, Microsoft and IBM anymore.  Instead they are being introduced by
>> user communities around FreeBSD and Linux.
>
>I really think this is wrong.  It's a nice bit of hedonism,
>but the cool things aren't happening in user communities; for
>the most part, they are still happening in industry and in the
>academic sector.

don't you consider the academic sector a user community?

>There's just less money to pursue things
>deemed "impractical" these days: people are increasingly
>focussed on short term goals.  There is less margin for having
>the ability to pursue long term visions and carry them into
>reality.

Actually I think that there's plenty of money out there, but the
problem is that the investment community has decided that most
of the technology sector can't be trusted with it.  I don't blame
them, the past 20 years has been shameful with how many technology
people have urinated away money on ideas that were obviously
stupid, and had absolutely no market research done on them to
see if the man on the street would be even interested in them.

Most of the technology types that ran around the last 5 years
claiming to be visionaries (or paying people to write articles
about how they were visionaries) were more interested in getting
a foosball table in the office, and in getting on the cover of
"office personnel times" with a nice article about how advanced
their "no-tie-policy" was in the office.  When, for example, was
the last time you saw a software firm CEO in a tailored suit?
(and I mean a real one, with matching pants and jacket)  Most of
those people regarded work as this place you go to to goof off,
profitability was left to the accountants.

Anyway, that crowd of technology visionaries got their asses burned
off and slunk away to go sell snake oil to someone else.  Now we
have an industry that's got a leadership vacuum, and it's going to
take another decade before the investment community trusts us with
anything more than monopoly money again.