Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:18:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bluelight server ops <server@crew.bluelight.nu>
Subject:   softupdates freeze

Hi all,

I've removed a few files of about 30GB from my backup (softupdates)
partition. I wanted to make a new dump on the drive, but the free space
count was still at the old level. This normally takes a short while to
update, but this time it took an abnormally long time (15 mins).

In an attempt to flush all buffers, I tried to un/mount the partition.
The ``umount'' process stalled (with state 'softfl' according to top),
and a minute later the system became unresponsive. (ping replies are
sent, connections are accepted but nothing happens)

My guess is the (colocated) machine might be thrashing or is unable to
do disk I/O. (I am reluctant to powercycle it though, as I presume the
backup disk is now in an inconsistent state; but it doesn't seem to come
back.)

I assume the freeze and the softupdates-not-updating problem is related.
Is this a known problem with softupdates?

System: 4.3-RELEASE (security patches) SMP, IDE ATA100 disks, 1GB ram.

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | PGP key ID: 0x84813998