Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:01:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        farid@connection.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help me please!

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 farid@connection.com wrote:
> I'm having some trouble, when I installed FreeBSD it asked me for a hostname
> and a domainname. I just put fserv as host name and no domainname. Now when
> I start it says something like: My_unqualified_hostname and sometimes Get_hostname
> failed. I tried changing it by typing hostname 'new_hostname' but when i reboot
> again it is back to the old hostname. How can i change it properly and what
> is a good hostname and domain name? Is there a rule?

If this pc is *not* connected to the Internet just make up a name and
enter it in /etc/rc.conf

hostname="fserv.my.domain"

And then make sure to add that to /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost fserv.my.domain

>     Also my cd-rom driver doesn't work properly. It detects it at the beginig
> and then when i cd to /cdrom there are no files in there. Do i have to mount
> somehow?

Yes, you have to mount it, and unmount it before removing the media.

You'll need an entry like

/dev/cd0a       /cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto   0   0

in /etc/fstab.  That's a SCSI CD, an IDE is wcd0a (I think)

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com