Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:38:28 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOC obstructs encryption export again - Non USA crypto base again ?

--------
In message <201410211451.s9LEpbEc023384@fire.js.berklix.net>, "Julian H. S=
tacey
" writes:

>How can FreeBSD best re-segregate crypto components of its repository aga=
in,
>ready to move crypto components outside the USA, as USA DOC imperils agai=
n ?
>[...]
>  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/17/intel_subsidiary_crypto_export_=
fine/
>    "US government fines Intel's Wind River over crypto exports"

As far as I have been able to uncover, this settlement is about a
commercial closed source component, using specific hardware-crypto-assist,
for which no programming details have been made publically available.

That means that WR cannot fly under the Wassenaar Arrangement "in the
public domain" carveout, and I guess somebody there overlooked that little
detail.

We on the other hand make everything we do available, so we're solidly
inside that carveout.

For details see: bottom of page 3 "GENERAL SOFTWARE NOTE" and
the definition of "in the public domain" at the bottom of page 208
in this document:

    http://www.wassenaar.org/controllists/2013/WA-LIST%20%2813%29%201/WA-L=
IST%20%2813%29%201.pdf

In other words Julian:  Don't panic.

Worst case, we'll move the entire svn server out of USA.

-- =

FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    =

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence=
.