Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sata/ata device permission for user

Hello,

1. Neglected to specify that vfs.usermount=1 is set in /etc/sysctl.conf. My
user can mount USB drives.

2. Settings in /etc/devfs.rules is being passed to system correctly because
ownership is correct:
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  0x57 Apr 15 09:46 /dev/cd0

3. File permissions for /cdrom is
root  operator     2 Mar  3  2011 cdrom/
I had also tried mounting on a folder with 1777 permission before posting.

Otherwise,
* I had solved the qemu problem, it was a small oversight.

>> It helps if the user is in the "wheel" group.
Membership in operator should be sufficient...

>> Looks correct, but doesn't seem to be sufficient. /etc/devfs.rules is
>> used for dynamically allocated devices and /etc/devfs.conf for those
>> present at boot time.
As far as I understand, you can set rules for any device in devfs.rules, but
not vice-versa. But I should also try with devfs.conf just to make sure...

Regards.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel