Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:17:40 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winbook & FreeBSD

Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Joseph Scott wrote:
> > WinBook XL2
> >
> > My main concerns of course are : Video, Network, Modem and Sound ( in
> > that order ).
>
> Video: ATI 3D Rage LT Pro
> It works. I have an Asus/Chembook F7400 with the same video chip. I used
> one of the Mach64/Rage card settings (if you pick the wrong one, X will
> crash on initialization) in xf86config, killed all modelines except for
> the 60Hz ones, and it works like a dream.

	Any problems with certain res's?  I'd like to run it at 1024x768 since
we'll be getting one of the bigger 14.1" screens no matter which laptop
we end up buying.

> Network:
> I'd go with the Ambicom. The 3com card is probably a 3c589, but 3com keeps
> making new revisions of that same card. The Ambicom is a nice, simple,
> generic NE2000 compatible, and the sample pccardd.conf file from
> 1999/05/15 already has that card listed (the AmbiCom 8002T).

	Someone else mentioned using this card.  I think it sounds like it may
be the "safe" bet.

> Modem:
> The Winbook drivers page for the XL2 says the modem is an LT WinModem.
> _WinModem_. 'nuff said.

	Now that stinks!  Part of the idea of having the laptop was being able
to dial in while away.  Do you have any recommendations for a PC Card
Modem?

> Sound:
> This ESS Maestro is a PCI sound chip, as far as I have been able to figure
> out (my laptop has the same sound chip). That means that sound support
> will be a long ways away. However, I haven't taken a look at commercial
> sound support, so you may or may not be able to get sound working for a
> price.

	I've got a PCI sound card in my box here at work, after applying the
ES1371 patch I don't have any problems with it, listening to it right
now.  Using the pcm driver ( not the new one, stock 3.2R )

> --Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )

	Thank you for the additional input.

--

Joseph Scott