Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:45:19 +1100
From:      "Neeraj Arora" <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au>
To:        <will@willardjwilliams.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NIS not working

I setup nis recently, and I find no mistake in your procedure. But still, =
I list all my steps so that you may find some difference if there is any.

As superuser:
1. Setup the server by enabling entries in rc.conf, set the domain to =
nis-domain.

2. Copied master.passwd from /etc to /var/yp and deleted all the sensitive =
entries.

3. started the rpc service and bind the nis daemon to that.

4. ran ypinit -m nis-domain and it built without any errors.

5. On the clients /etc/rc.conf enabled nis client settings and rpc =
settings.

6. started rpc and ypbind on the clients.

7. edited master.passwd using vipw and added the entry +::::::::: (cant =
remember the number of `:') and edited the /etc/group file added +:*:: at =
the end.

8. confirmed using ypcat passwd as a normal user and ypcat master.passwd =
as superuser. results positive.

On the nis-server
9. To add a user, used pw useradd username and pw derives settings from, I =
think, /etc/pw.conf

10. cd /var/yp, deleted the passwd file. And ran make again. if pedantic =
delete passwd file and run ypinit -m nis-domain again and dont forget to =
say `y' for permission to delete the nis-domain directory.

11. and all is working...

12. tried to configure a non-freebsd system, debian gnu/linux to be =
particular to run as an nis client

13. done after asking a question on this mailing list and receiving very =
helpful replies...:)

14. configuring many other services...:)

Regards,
Neeraj

>>> "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com> 03/12/03 21:43 PM >>>
hi hope someone knows the answer to this riddle...I am trying to get NIS
up and running.

1.  one master, no slave...domain name is lab-nis-domain
2.  Master rc.conf file contains enabling commands to start nis server as
well as nis_yppasswdd.  The build of the /var/yp/lab-nis-domain indicated
"built with no errors"

3.  client machine rc.confs contain domain name, nis_client_enable,
rpcbind_enable.

4.  when I run ypcat passwd from any client machine I get a list of avail
passwords from the master domain...  all looked good...

5.  created a new user on master, ran make lab-nis-domain and it said
"domain already current"...so I copied the updated master.passwd file to
/var/yp and ran make again...still same message.

6.  as last resort I ran ypinit -m again to rebuild the entire
domain..then ran ypcat passwd from client machine and was able to see the
new account.

7.  MY PROBLEM:  I can't log into the client machine using the new
account...I have added the +::::::::: string to master.passwd and +:*::
string to group file...but still no work.

any ideas?

Will