Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:02:09 -0500
From:      "Todd T. Fries" <toddf@acm.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, WHS <wouters@cistron.nl>
Cc:        tech@openbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 09:17:49PM +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> > I didn't want a license debate, more a statement like: 'if libggi = LGPL
> > then GGI won't be standard on BSD and very likely, in my view, won't be
> > used by many people'. Which from the rest of your mail I see is the
> > case.
Hmm, I've spelled this out clearly to the project.  They will not budge.
They change the name from linux-ggi to ggi in hopes of being portable then
they use lgpl for the library.  Might as well change the name back IMHO.

> > > In the specific case of GGI, I certainly don't care either way.  If
> > > there are GPL'd kernel bits, then we just make them available as
> >
> > No, that will be BSD (or X if that's ok). Just the library (which is
> > needed to use the kernel code) is LGPL.
>
> That effectively makes the code LGPL, we have no use for the kernel
> bits without the library.
Precisely.

> > What I'm also getting at is this: If kernel internals change, then the
> > KGI (kernel part of GGI) may have to be altered and you (or another BSD
> > hacker) won't be inclined to do this for a piece that can only be used
> > with a LGPL lib, right?
>
> Exactly, and I'm not sure we can agree on if the KGI bits should get in
> there in the first place.
> Besides we already have code in the kernel to handle some of what
> GGI wants to do, so the point might be somewhat moot.

Hmm, I'd be surprised to know that you handle multiple input devices,
(keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc) and multiple consoles mixing and matching
multiple video hardware along with no necessity for setuid graphics apps.
The last part is, when I was around during the formation of the GGI project,
one of the main reasons it was formed.

Unless forever more the X shall be uniquely graphic.
--
Todd Fries .. toddf@acm.org