Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:57:23 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading a program by ports' package

On 9/7/00, 2:34:02 PM, youlgok@attglobal.net wrote regarding upgrading=20
a program by ports' package:

> I have installed glib-1.2.6 on my FBSD-3.3.  Before upgrading to
> glip-1.2.8, I tried to pkg_delete glib-1.2.6, but I get this message=20
and
> can't go any further:

> # pkg_delete glib-1.2.6
> pkg_delete: package `glib-1.2.6' is required by these other packages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> gtk-1.2.6

> In this case, can I just overwrite it by pkg_add glib-1.2.8 without
> pkg_delete glib-1.2.6?  If not, what should I do here?

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

> -Paul

Dear Paul Youlgok (?),

The short answer is: in order to update your ports, please use=20
"pkg_version -c" cum grano salis (ie edit the output and be careful,=20
be careful, be careful. Have I said that you have to be careful when=20
editing ? :-)

If you prefer packages, pkg_version(1) is useful all the same.

By the way, you can force the deletion of a package, if you like:=20
pkg_delete -f <package>. However, I don't know whether gtk works with=20
a newer glib: I just haven't tried that.

One possibility is updating **the two** ports/packages (generally=20
speaking, you might have to update more than two ports/packages for=20
"consistency" reasons): again, pkg_version(1) is your friend.

HTH,
Salvo