Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:27:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying nfsrcv hangs

Matthew Dillon wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> :ps al on my system shows multiple nfsrcv hangs on processes such as df, ls
> :and umount.  Without any other characteristic problems, the nfs server
> : [...]
>
>     I assume the hangs are on the client?  Not surprising if its a 3.2
>     system.  A whole lot of NFS fixes went in between 3.2 and 3.4 so I
>     recommend upgrading the client to the latest post 3.4 -stable.

Yes, the hangs are on the 3.2-R client.  An upgrade is currently in the
works... Actually it's slated for installation next week.  Hopefully that
will help kick NFS into shape for me.

> :That's verbatim... The mount was NOT done on bigfs... It was in fact done
> :on /f/bigfs.  "We have secretly switched this SysAdmin's mountpoint with
>
>     I don't know what is going on here, but it kinda sounds like cockpit
>     trouble somewhere either in the exports line or the client's mount
>     command.

Something strange, certainly... I don't recall changing the mount status
of any of those, or mounting/unmounting anything at all for that matter.
Didn't see anything weird in messages.  Could still have been recent pilot
error, I suppose.  However, exports on the server haven't changed in eight
months and that 'bigfs' was mounted at boot from fstab on the client, many
months ago.  Nothing OOTO in exports or fstab.. The mounts look pretty
homogenous.

That's what made me think something was strange;  several other
similarly-mapped mounts between the same two machines never missed a beat.

HOWEVER... (Update, here)... When I finally got in to the office today, I
did a `umount -a -t nfs &` on the client (the & for the purpose of
regaining my shell while umount hung trying to unmount bigfs :-).  Then
killed off mountd, nfsd, portmap, and even inetd in that order, and
restarted them in the reverse of that order.  The hung processes on the
client magically became unstuck and terminated, and I was able to unmount
that muddled bigfs and start over.  Everything seems to be in working
order once again.

Perhaps the 3.2 client isn't solely to blame, here, after all.  I'll try
this all again when both machines are running -STABLE.

> :Has anything been built into -CURRENT to address these hangs?  It has
> :plagued many in the past, and continues to do so.
> :
> :  Yours truly,
> :  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
>
>     Both -current and -stable have various NFS fixes that earlier releases
>     did not.  In general, NFS fixes for the -stable branch have been kept
>     up to date with the work in -current, but -current ought to have much
>     better NFS performance then stable.

Performance = transfer rates and latency?  Or just generalized stability?
I haven't had the time to watch -CURRENT all that closely, but I'll be
happy when some of the new functionality becomes -STABLE.

Thanks for the reply,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2