Date:      Wed, 31 May 95 21:43:19 CDT
From:      lists@Seaman.Chenequa.WI.US (Richard Seaman, Jr)
To:        pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra), faulkner@mpd.tandem.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp w/ chap authentication.

On Wed, 31 May 1995 15:18:26 -0500 (CDT) you wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, I thought I got a good deal with an isp so that I could finally
>> connect my FreeBSD system to the net.  I found out that this ISP only
>> provides PPP with CHAP.
>>
>> Is there any way to connect my 2.0R to this isp? they're no help at
>> all.
>>

>> thanks,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>pppd supports chap, doesn't it?

I connect to a remote Livingston Portmaster via PPP/chap/pap using the
following (accross an ISDN link using an Adtran ISU Express async
TA):

invoke pppd as follows:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem  115200

in /etc/ppp I have the following files:

-rw-------  1 root  wheel    41 May 23 22:15 chap-secrets
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   181 May 23 23:27 options
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    41 May 23 22:15 pap-secrets
-rwx------  1 root  wheel   194 May  1 10:51 ppp-call

-----------chap-secrets looks like--------------
username_on_remote        remote_system_name    password

-----------pap-secrets looks like---------------
username_on_remote        remote_system_name    password

-----------options looks like-------------------
crtscts                                 # enable hardware flow control
modem                                   # modem control line
connect         /etc/ppp/ppp-call       # logon script using chat
asyncmap        0
netmask         0xffffffc0              # we have a small subnet of a class C here
passive
defaultroute                            # adds remote ppp site as default route
user            username_on_remote
name            username_on_remote

-----------ppp-call looks like-------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# ppp-call
#
chat -v ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO ANSWER" ABORT "NO DIAL TONE" \
 "" ATZ\\d\\d OK "AT&C2&D2" OK ATDT5551212 \
 CONNECT >/dev/modem </dev/modem

Obviously, critical names, passwords and phone numbers have been changed.
Also, you'd clearly want to customize the AT initialization strings.
Finally, I also have a shell script to monitor the line and redial if
needed, though with ISDN, I've never had a line drop that I didn't
initiate on purpose, and I've been up as long as 3 1/2 weeks at a time
(using flat rate ISDN, of course).

The FreeBSD machine that initiates this connection acts as a router to
a small LAN.  Since there are no IP addresses specified, pppd attempts
to negotiate an IP address that is the same as the IP address as the
ethernet card on the FreeBSD machine.  Since the remote accepts this, it
works fine (in this case).

The device /dev/modem is just as follows:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May 31 17:49 /dev/modem -> /dev/cuaa0

You could just as easily use /dev/cuaaX instead of /dev/modem in the
scripts above.

If you want the line monitoring script, let me know.

Dick

Richard Seaman, Jr.         Dick@Seaman.Chenequa.WI.US
5182 North Maple Lane       voice: 414-367-5450
Chenequa, WI 53058          fax:   414-367-5852