Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:11:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adding /usr/X11R6/bin to the /etc/rc PATH (was: Re: Why no /dev/one?)

On 2003-01-30 17:22, Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th> wrote:
> As I've asked in a separate question to the list, would adding
> /usr/X11R6/bin to the PATH statement in /etc/rc be a Bad Idea (tm)?

Yes, it would be a bad idea.

Is there need for anything under /usr/X11R6/bin while booting the
system?  If there isn't, then adding a path in /etc/rc that might
conflict with real executables and possibly hide problems if a program
happens to have the same name with something under the current PATH
but works differently, is a bad idea and a bug waiting to happen.

BTW: Please don't hijack irrelevant threads and ask something that is
not related to the original topic without changing the subject.  It
makes it difficult to sort through the original thread in most mailers.

Regards,
- Giorgos