Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:31:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any cards that work?

> That would be great, except that I really, really want to be able to
> use the MIDI port.  Near the very top of my list of things that I
> haven't yet gotten around to doing is interfacing to a MIDI keyboard.
> From the your description of the current state of affairs I inferred
> (naively) that I needed a GUS or AWE card to do this.

It's not the card but the driver. All card that I know of implement
midi (and OPL3 syhthesis) in the same way (i.e. emulate the SB). It's
just that the _driver_ which has a chance of working with midi is not
the same which works with most cards.

Now the GUS has its own problems (discontinued product) and the AWE has
others (the old SB16 is not true full duplex, and the new Vibra16X i
think don't work completely with any of the FreeBSD audio drivers).

So i think the most sensible thing to do is to buy a WSS clone and
either use two different kernels (one for midi, the other for full
duplex audioconferencing), or help patching my driver to support midi.
The latter is not very hard, there is probably one other volunteer, and
it is a nice kernel programming exercise. If connecting a midi keyboard
is "Near the very top" of your list, I guess you might be willing to
dedicate some time to it, and this time could be better spent helping
programming rather than hunting for a GUS or trying drivers...

	cheers
	luigi