Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:36:02 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Anthony's e-mail snip class, take one (was: Re: Microsoft Advocacy?)

	I seriously don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth or taking the
entire reply in the context it was written.

	I welcome discussion of any operating system.  However, I will not stand by
while FreeBSD is made into a pariah by someone who has relatively little
experience with it.

> In the latter case, please explain why you feel
> this way.  In the former case, please explain what sort of advocacy
> discussions you can suggest that do not mention any of the competition.

	Again, you're putting words in my mouth, and I'm going to refrain from
engaging further in your witch hunt with me as the target.  You seem to read
what you want in a post, manipulate it the way that you want when you reply,
and attempt to make out as if people have said things that they have not.

> Since Microsoft is the major competitor to FreeBSD on the desktop (and in
> the non-UNIX server market, although it is far weaker there), it is
> inevitable that Microsoft will be mentioned in any attempt to advocate
> FreeBSD.

	Yes.  I agree that Microsoft should be discussed, but not held up as a
shining beacon of what FreeBSD is striving to become.  If that's the vision
that the FreeBSD team is looking to reach, I want out... now.

> > And I agree with you there.  However, one person's
> > uneducated opinion should not be trumpted as the
> > voice of truth here.
>
> I agree; but you should still be free to express it.

	I don't disagree with the ability to express it.  I disagree with the usage
of this forum to praise Microsoft while at the same time blasting FreeBSD
for not being more like Microsoft.

> > I use 98, not because I think it's a better operating
> > system, but because I enjoy playing some entertainment
> > titles that simply don't work properly without it.
>
> If these titles won't work properly without it, then it would seem that it
> is the best operating system for those titles, no?

	That's why I have two machines that I use primarily.  One built for work,
one built for play.  One running FreeBSD, one running Windows 98.  I believe
you can do the math to determine which operating system is on which machine.

> > I'm in the process of setting up my FreeBSD
> > workstation for doing real work ...
>
> What sort of work is that?

	Is it really any business of yours?

> Do you run any FreeBSD servers?

	Yes I do, and yes I have in the past.

> > However, when one person's posts have nothing to
> > do but trumpet Microsoft and downplay FreeBSD...
> > makes you wonder, doesn't it?
>
> And vice versa, although it usually isn't necessary to wonder for
> very long.

	So, because I'm a FreeBSD advocate (you happened to strategically snip out
any discussion I had regarding Microsoft from this post), then I'm suddenly
an immature FreeBSD zealot in your eyes?

	Hmm... could someone wake me when Anthony's opinion matters to anyone but
himself?

--- Andy