Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:08:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shrivats <shrivatsan_v@yahoo.com>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, shrivatsan <shrivatsan@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Question regarding memory disks

Thanks a lot for the response.=A0

--- On Wed, 1/6/10, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:

From: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To: "Pieter de Goeje" <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "shrivatsan" <shrivatsan@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2010, 7:27 PM

Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 22:49:44 shrivatsan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have configured a malloc-backed memory disk, and I mount the device on=
>> the file system. I write some data onto the file system. I see that the
>> free memory indicated by kmem_map_free goes down, and this is proportion=
al
>> to the size of the data written. However, even after removing all the
>> data, kmem_map_free doesn't seem to go up. Its only after detaching the
>> memory disk does the free memory go up. May I know the reason for this
>> behavior?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> -shrivatsan
>=20
> Because when you "erase" something, all it does is unlink (delete the ref=
erence to) the data. So there is currently no way the memory disk can free =
the memory associated with the data. That is also why you should normally u=
se swap backed memory disks instead, or use tmpfs. These can return memory =
to the system.
>=20
> The ability of the filesystem to mark certain blocks as "erased" is impor=
tant not only for memory disks but also for solid state drives. It is a fea=
ture UFS2 is currently lacking unfortunately.

but is being worked on