Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 03:36:03 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        nc@ai.net, Arjan.deVet@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Guido.VanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The correct term for "pre-forking" is "spawn-ahead".

    I was always under the impression that the creation of another
process is called "forking" under UNIX and not "spawning (isn't that
VAX-speak?).

> Actually, a lot of UNIX kernels keep process templates around, which
> are most of the generic process information but none of the specific
> so as to optimize forking benchmarks (hint, hint).

    What, have a specially-compiled kernel that can fork off httpd's
in no time at all?  As usual, you're too far ahead of me, Terry, and
I'm having trouble keeping up.  :-/

    BTW, the multithreaded server I've got running on my FreeBSD box
probably isn't truly "multithreaded" (it uses select() to handle
multiple connections with a single process).  What should this be
called?  A multiheaded server?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org