Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 22:15:16 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Portupgrade / pkgdb question

Been trying to upgrade ports on a machine that started out running
4.1, was most recently running 4.3-Stable, and is now running 4.6-
Prerelease.

Upgraded portupgrade itself OK, but when I do a "pkgdb -F" it shows
most of the installed packages as having no "origin". (apparently
this is because the "origin" concept was introduced after 4.1)

My understanding is that "origin" is the path to the port in the
ports directory - ie if the port is /usr/ports/editors/joe, the
origin is "editors/joe".

But there is no interactive search or anything to help find the
correct path to input to correct this problem when running "pkgdb -
F", so does this mean that I have to sit down, manually find and make
a list of all the modern equivalents/locations of all 200 installed
packages, then manually type in each path for each old package during
"pkgdb -F" before I can effectively use portupgrade?

I even tried to use pkg_deinstall to remove a group of non-essential
packages to minimize the number I have to upgrade, but I got this
error (the following is a test run - ie using the -n option):

#pkg_deinstall -c -n -v 'p5-*' |& tee deinstall_test_1

/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:322:in `deinstall_pkg': undefined local
variable or method `dry_parse' for #<Object:0x808cc88> (NameError)
from /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:271:in `main' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:269:in `reverse_each' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:269:in `main' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:84:in `initialize' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:84:in `new' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:84:in `main' 	from
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall:410 ---> Deinstalling 'p5-SNMP-Util-
1.6' ---> Checking for overwritten files

When I tried to use just "p5-*" (no quotes) as the package specifier,
it didn't work at all.

I also can't find a good explanation in the pkgdb docs how to correct
dependencies.  When running pkgdb -F, it prompts when it thinks it
has a stale dependency (even for portupgrade itself) but I'm not sure
which option at that point does what?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium