Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:18:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@mpcs.com>
To:        silo@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from a DOS partition or even from floppies

In muc.lists.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
 :    I have tried the FAQ and the tutorial and the 'for newbies' section
 : and cannot find help with my problem.  I can't install from either
 : floppies or c:\freebsd on my dos partition (/dev/wd0).

You don't mention which release but it's likely to be 3.0, in which
case this note from the ERRATA.TXT may be helpful...

o DOS partition installs fail to find the installation bits.

Fix: Rename C:\FREEBSD to C:\3.0-RELEASE and retry the installation.
     The naming syntax was changed to make DOS more like the other
     types of installation media but the docs on DOS installation
     were not updated properly to reflect this.  The current sysinstall
     now accepts both locations, as it should have to begin with.

--
The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind