Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:07:56 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Sweeney, Barry" <SweeneyB@ncr.disa.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 2.2.1

> I have version 2.2.1 on my system and I want to upgrade to a newer version
> (especially to take advantage of all the Y2K bug fixes). I have the CD-ROMs
> for the 2.2.7 version, but the text files seem to say that the upgrade
> utility is less than perfect. Can anyone recommend the best version for me
> to upgrade to. I have some experience with Unix, but this will be my first
> attempt to experiment with FreeBSD. I bought the book "The Complete
> FreeBSD", but it does not have much about upgrading FreeBSD. I was not
> involved in the original installation of the OS. Any help is appreciated.

Judging from all the information above, you should avoid doing
this as an upgrade.  No matter how good the upgrade process,
there are always gotchs and with the background shown here,
you're likely to find some.

A better approach would be to backup all your data, check the
backups to make sure they work, and do a fresh install.  That
way, you'll know about the install process, which is good, and
the potential problems with the upgrade will not happen.  When
you're happy with the install, restore your data from the
backups you made at the start.

A final note, don't install 2.2.7 -- at the very least, get the
CDs for 2.2.8 and install it as there are many important
improvements in that release.  If you're adventurous, you could
try the 3.1 CDs, but I can't recommend that yet since mine have
still not arrived.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>