Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:12:14 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portupgrade can't find installed ports.

Hi all,

I am having problems with portupgrade and related tools on 5.0-RELEASE
on Sparc64.  I can't find anything relevant in the archives, nor on
Google, so I turn to you ;-)

When invoked in the usual manner, portinstall cannot search the ports
directory structure (or so it seems to me):

[osiris: root: /usr/ports]# portinstall -R exim
** No such installed package nor such port called 'exim' is found.

But, if I supply the subdir name, portinstall finds the port:

[osiris: root: /usr/ports]# portinstall -R mail/exim
--->  Installing 'exim-4.12_1' from a port (mail/exim)
--->  Building '/usr/ports/mail/exim'
===>  Cleaning for perl-5.6.1_11
===>  Cleaning for exim-4.12_1

portupgrade has problems, too, apparently reading /var/db/pkg:

[osiris: root: ~]# portupgrade -a
** No such package '*' is installed.

I have the latest versions of Ruby and Portupgrade, and the pkgtools.conf
is unaltered.

I don't have any problems with the same versions of Ruby and Portupgrade
on any of my i386 boxes.

I seem to recall similar behaviour on 4.X/i386 a while ago, but didn't
pursue it.  Anyone else see anything similar on either i386 or Sparc64?
Any ideas how to correct it?  I have had a quick look through the
script files, but it's all Greek to me...

As always, any insights, thoughts or pointers very gratefully accepted.
Flames too, if this has been answered recently and I just missed it...

Cheers,

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \