Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:31:43 -0800
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@emusic.com>
To:        dhh@pce.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting a FreeBSD-related project

On 25 Mar 99, at 22:20, Dave Hummel wrote:

> My research lead me to the conclusion that sendmail
> would do the trick, but that I was out of luck as far as a free imap/pop
> server was concerned. A look at the cyrus code convinced me that
> integrating ldap was fairly trivial. Wrapping the whole thing in SSL and a
> spiffy interface would pretty much complete the project, and I could
> transfer all my users in short order.

> From what I know of IMP (which isn't that much), it may well be
> the key to making a nifty interface for both end users and
> administrators.

It could indeed.  I know next to nothing about LDAP, so I have no
idea how you want to use it in this system.  However, it's quite
likely that you can put it together without any need of hacking
LDAP and SSL into sendmail and cyrus.  IMP is written in PHP,
which is a web scripting language that (among other things)
speaks IMAP and LDAP.  So...  You let apache's mod_ssl take
care of the SSL, and IMP/PHP provides the pretty face and
interacts with the unmodified IMAP and LDAP servers.  The MTA
(sendmail/qmail/whatever) is only involved in a small way, and
would need little attention beyond configuring it to deliver to cyrus.

We have a FreeBSD (keeping it on topic here) server currently set
up with IMP acting as a mod_ssl-protected interface to cyrus and
qmail, which I believe is a big chunk of what you are looking for.
From there, it's just a matter of figuring out how you can stir LDAP
into the mix.  [Disclaimer:  I am mostly clueless about the
capabilities of LDAP and Messaging Server, so I could be missing
an important part of the big picture.  But it'll cost you nothing to
give it a try.]

Dave