Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 17:59:07 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to make a boot.flp & fixit.flp floppy?

At 9:37 PM +0200 10/08/00, Simon J Mudd wrote:

>I've been looking at the section of the handbook related to doing backups.
>It mentions copying the boot.flp and fixit.flp images to floppy.
>
>How do I make these?  I don't have them anywhere on my system, and am
>currently running

Afaik, boot.flp no longer fits on a regular floppy, and has been broken
down into kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.  Regardless, the floppy images are
available wherever you got FreeBSD.  If you have a CD-ROM, they are in the
directory /floppies along with README.TXT that tells you how to make them.
The /tools directory contains a DOS utility called fdimage.exe for making
the floppies under DOS.  Under FreeBSD try:

# dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0

/dev/rfd0 is your A: drive.  Then do the same thing for the other two .flp
files.

>[sjmudd@unicorn sjmudd]$ uname -a
>FreeBSD unicorn.ea4els.ampr.org 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #0: Sun
>Oct  8 16:45:21 CEST 2000
>root@unicorn.ea4els.ampr.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMPZZ  i386
>
>Thanks for any pointers in what's probably an obvious question.
>
>Simon
>p.s. Shouldn't the handbook be adjusted to give this information?

It's on page 32, "2.2.1.1. Creating the Boot Floppies".