Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:39:21 +0200
From:      "Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

Hello,

I now have only two problems left with running FreeBSD on an IBM ThinkPad
T40p. One of them I'll probably post about in the future because I still
have things to try, but as for the other problem...

The laptop comes with one primary battery and, as an opion, an extra battery
that fits into the "Ultra Bay" (replacing the CD-ROM). As I realized after
some time, the presence of the extra battery causes hangs. When I have the
CD-ROM in the bay instead of the extra battery, there are no such problems.
But when the battery is in, the machine hangs totally when:

   * I Reboot or attempt to halt the machine (sometime before syncing
     disks).
   * I open/close the lid.
   * I toggle the keyboard LED light.
   * I press the hardware volume controls.
   * ... and probably when doing other stuff too

I assume this has something to do with ACPI events or something simiar
coming in when such actions are taken. The question is why it happens with
the extra battery but not without it.

The "apm" command correctly identifies the extra battery though, and
indicators work correctly.

ACPI support is loaded as a module, and APM support is disabled (I assume the
"apm" command uses ACPI in the abscence of APM?). During boot, the following
ACPI related messages appear:

acpi0: <IBM    TP-1R   > on motherboard
acpi_ec0: <embedded controller: ECDT, GPE 0x1c, GLK> port 0x66,0x62 on acpi0
Using $PIR table, 15 entries at 0xc00fdea0
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.USB7._INI]
(Node
0xc4010540), AE_AML_REGION_LIMIT
acpi0: power button is handled as a fixed feature programming model.
Timecounter "ACPI-fast"  frequency 3579545 Hz
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x1008-0x100b on acpi0
acpi_cpu0: <CPU> port 0x530-0x537 on acpi0
acpi_tz0: <thermal zone> port 0x530-0x537 on acpi0
acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
acpi_cmbat0: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_cmbat1: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC adapter> on acpi0
acpi_cpu: throttling enabled, 8 steps (100% to 12.5%), currently 100.0%

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org