Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:06:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regexp program

As Hellmuth Michaelis wrote...
> >From the keyboard of Wilko Bulte:
>
> > Why is it that isdnd requires the regprog to live under /etc/isdn?
>
> I thought it were a bit more secure.

Security is a concern, true. It would be the (sick) hack of the century if you could
stick a regexp/regprog in somebody's isdnd.rc that did (e.g) 'dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/rsd0c' or something similar after you called him :-\ I'm a bit doubtful
whether it makes much difference if the regprog is in /etc/isdn or somewhere else.

In that respect I'd say it might make sense to not execute the regprog as root.
It looks like isdnd/exec.c just execs whatever you feed it. Maybe a setuid(nobody)
first?

Wilko