Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:28:45 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Graeme.Cross@sci.monash.edu.au, scqdaf@globalserve.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's your Window Manager preference?

This may be about to go right off-topic for -newbies. Obviously window
managers are related to a decent FreeBSD installation, but this may be
about to get a bit too specific. Feel free to *not* cross-post your reply
to the list if you think it's inappropriate. I will summarise responses.

Having got that out of the way;

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:06:44PM +1000, Graeme.Cross@sci.monash.edu.au wrote:
> * Window Maker - still in beta, but it's stable, elegant and powerful
>   The best window manager for all us who were too young or too poor to
>   buy a NeXt machine once upon a time...

I keep trying Window Maker every now and then, lots of people tell me
it's good. But there are a some bits about it (not ever having used a
NeXT machine) that I just don't understand.

  * Is there really *no* desktop pager? There seems to be this thing
    the 'clip', which lets you scroll through your virtual desktops.
    But you can't get a 'map' of what's on your virtual desktops, and
    you can't drag things from desktop to desktop this way.

    I'm thinking of something like FvwmPager.

  * What's the point of the 'dock', or 'wharf'? It seems to hold a mixture
    of icons that you can click on to start programs, icons that
    indicate already running programs, and programs that are running
    'in' icons (swallowed). Keeping these three states of an application
    together in one place strikes me as counter intuitive.

  * Can I ditch the icons for running applications, and go to a list,
    like TWM/CTWMs application list or (heaven forfend) the Win95 task
    bar?

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .