Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:21:25 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Patrick Anthofer <pata@teleweb.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows NT and Free BSD

Patrick Anthofer wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have looked at your site quite thouroughly, but I didn't find
> information on running FREE BSD on a Windows NT Server machine.
> I might have overseen information on that; if so I'm sorry for
> bothering you.
>
> I have an Intel Pentium 133 / 32MB Ram and 2 HD with 2 partitions each.
> One Harddrive has got the NTFS and the other one has got FAT.
> I was wondering what would happen if I installed FREE BSD on one of the
> FAT Partitions. Would a MULTI OS BOOT Manager be created or something
> like that?

FreeBSD needs it's own partition. You can use Partition Magic to
create some free space on your disk, or use "fips", available from the
FreeBSD Website.

FreeBSD does come with a Boot Manager, but if you're running NT it is
better (IMHO) to add FreeBSD to the NT boot menu, see the FAQ for
details

> The other information I would like to receive is the SIZE of the
> "2.2.8-RELEASE" Folder on your FTP SERVER. Is that the only Folder
> I need to download completely to run the basic operating system?

You need ~60MB disk space for a minimum binary only (no X-windows or
source) system. Go to http://www.freebsd.org and follow the links
(near the bottom of the page) for installing

HTH