Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:34:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sleepycat Software <db@abyssinian.sleepycat.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD

> Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD
> Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
>
> I took a look at your web site with a view towards updating the port,
> and it appears that the only way to download the current distfile is
> via a cgi-bin script there.  One of the great beauties of the FreeBSD
> ports system is the way it automates the download, building and
> installation process.
>
> Speaking solely for myself, I think we're better off with a slightly
> dated distfile that's cached on FreeBSD mirrors worldwide that
> attempting to track something that has to be manually downloaded every
> time.  If you would be willing to provide a fixed URL from which the
> new releases can be fetched, I think that we would be much more likely
> to keep the port up to date.

I'm not sure if I understand.  Since we can (and do!) completely
re-organize the distribution between releases, why does a manual
step of downloading the package result in additional work?

Providing a fixed URL is difficult, it's going to be hard to make
sure anyone that works on our web site knows and remembers that

Regards,
--keith