Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:44:33 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
Subject:   Re: Multiple choices for RAID-0, best performance?

Eirik Oeverby wrote:
> Søren Schmidt wrote:

>> However in the not to far future this wil change *significantly*.
>> ataraid is in the learning phase of using the command sequencer in the
>> Promise (and Marvell) chips which will boost performance by having the
>> controllers do some of the RAID work (in case of the pdc20621 chips in
>> can even do HW XOR for RAID5).
>>
>> Needless to say that it will only work with ataraid, as this needs
>> intimate knowledge of the ATA controller workings to be used effectively.
>
> Any chance Silicon Image SATA-RAID chipsets will be supported this way?
> Some of the heftier Tyan (dual) Opteron boards use this chipset.. I hear
> from various sources that it sucks, but ... Can't give up hope yet, can
> I? ;)

Well, the SiI chips doesn't have that kind of functionality, they are
just plain and simple (and in the 3112 case broken) SATA controllers.

Given the history of SiI (former CMD) and thier (S)ATA chipsets, they
will need several braintransplants before they'll make a chip that can
be that advanced *and* work ;)

--
-Søren