Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:48:44 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org, Markus Pfeiffer <markus.pfeiffer@morphism.de>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 on Dockstar (Marvell Kirkwood)

On 01/03/14 14:42, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 14:12 -0500, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> On 01/03/14 12:59, Markus Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Hi Ian,

>>> Can I find information anywhere as to what this ranges command actually means?
>>> I was assuming it has something to do with memory mappings, but I didn't find
>>> any info as to what in particular the 0x2f _means_.
>>>

>> The ranges field, as per IEEE 1275 (page 175), provides a mapping from
>> addresses in a child address space to the parent. It is a set of tuples
>> of (child base address, parent base address, size), with the field
>> widths being (#address-cells on this node [2], #address-cells of parent
>> bus [1], #size-cells on this node [1]). This mapping table is used for
>> resource allocation of children, to map bus-local requests for addresses
>> to addresses on the parent bus (in this case, physical memory
>> addresses). In this case, the following:
>>
>> ranges = <0x0 0x2f 0xf9300000 0x00100000>
>>
>> means that addresses 0x2f-0x0010002f in "localbus" should map linearly to physical addresses 0xf9300000-0xf9310000. This is used for drivers on the attached sub-bus so that their resources (in the "reg" properties, or in "ranges" if there are further sub-buses) can be specified in bus-local address units. The kernel code probably misinterprets it badly if changing this affects anything, which in turn implies that our kernel code is horribly bug-riddled.
>>
>> Note also that this replacement is not equivalent to the old mappings, since it shifts all the mappings downward by 0x20 bytes.
>> -Nathan
> So now we're back to the usual question... do we adhere to published or
> defacto standards?  The defacto standards for arm dts files are
> basically "whatever linux does is right by definition" (::sigh::), and
> what we've got in the marvell dts files right now is basically similar
> to what linux uses (I think linux has evolved a bit since our dts files
> were created; they were probably compatible at some point).
>
> Here's what linux is doing these days.  I notice they've moved the
> mapping info from "mrvl,lbc" to "marvell,kirkwood-mbus", "simple-bus";
>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi
>
> -- Ian

I don't see any particular way in which these files violate the
standards. Did I miss something? In this case, so long as a 1:1 linear
mapping can be made, it's perfectly alright for "child bus addresses" to
be basically arbitrary codes, as here. IEEE 1275 PCI does this, for
example, with 96-bit "child address" ranges that are a combination of
the bus, slot, and function for the card along with actual 64-bit memory
locations. In general, Linux's device tree support seems to be much more
standards-compliant than ours. It's FreeBSD that seems to take the more
fragile and ad-hoc approach, which is what usually creates this "I have
to go patch my DTS now" problem.
-Nathan