Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:45:40 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MINUID in NIS Makefile

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:30:21PM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Thursday 20 February 2003 16:17, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Feb 20), Antoine Jacoutot said:
> > > Is there a way to use the MINUID and MINGID options in a NIS Makefile
> > > or is it Linux only ?
>
> > You'll have to tell us what those options mean before we can tell you
> > whether there is an equivalent.
>
> Of course, I'm sorry...
> The MINUID and MINGID allow to create passwd.by* only with account which UID
> are equal or higher than MINUID and group.by* only with groups which GID are
> equal or higher than MINGID.
> Extract from a Debian NIS Makefile:
> # We do not put password entries with lower UIDs (the root and system
> # entries) in the NIS password database, for security. MINUID is the
> # lowest uid that will be included in the password maps.
> # MINGID is the lowest gid that will be included in the group maps.
>
>  You don't need to copy
> > /var/yp/master.passwd to edit it; just make the change and run "make".
>
> So I would change the original /etc/master.passwd ?????? Is that OK, it
> looks like it's not.

You would add one line to the end of your /etc/master.passwd to tell it to
pick up the entries from /var/yp/master.passwd as well (assuming you want
your NIS users to be able to log on to the NIS server).  Any users defined
in /etc/master.passwd will be 'local' users, those in /var/yp/master.passwd
will be exported to NIS clients.  You can do a similar things with the
groups database as well.

pw(8) will let you set max/min UID and GID ranges and will happily
manipulate both the local and NIS passwd files.

You want to read the pw(8), passwd(5) and group(5) manpages (especially the
bits on NIS/YP interaction) and section 19.8 of the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nis.html

Cheers,

	Scott