Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:48:36 -0600
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/28155: DESTDIR is used incorrectly in bsd.port [see the PR for the patch]

In the current ports infrastructure, as many of you know, setting
 DESTDIR/PREFIX/etc. will cause unexpected things to happen.

Last week there was a thread about 'DESTDIR & /etc/shells'.  The PR
 associated with that topic was closed because 'the problem lies much
 deeper.'  It was opened again, but I agree that the problem is much
 deeper.

The patch in the following PR begins to fix the core of the problem -
 bsd.port.mk.

If anyone has ever wanted to install somewhere other that /usr/local and
 has run into problems, you know the issues.  Check it out... apply the
 patch to your local ports tree.  Try it, and let me know if I left
 anything out.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28155

There will still be some ports' Makefiles that need fixing (e.g.,
 they might have post-install targets that should install to
 ${DESTDIR}/${PREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}), but at least bsd.port.mk
 will treat DESTDIR and PREFIX right now with this patch.