Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:34:01 -0500
From:      Paul MacKenzie <pc.mackenzie@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Switch from MD5 to DES on 4.2 FreeBSD: cannot set password cipher

Hi,

I have been working to allow some old user accounts to work with their DES
passwords on a new FreeBSD 4.2 machine.

So far I have followed the procedure

1) Replace the symlinks on the libcrypt so they now appear as:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       13 Jan 11 09:49 libcrypt.a -> libdescrypt.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       14 Jan 11 10:07 libcrypt.so -> libdescrypt.so
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       16 Jan 11 09:52 libcrypt.so.2 ->
libdescrypt.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel       15 Jan  1  2000 libcrypt_p.a -> libdescrypt_p.a

This worked well and the users can now log in.

However here is the catch :),

I want to have the new passwords to be MD5 generated. I have added the
appropriate line in the login.conf

:passwd_format=MD5:\

After recompiling the database, I get the following problem when trying to
change a password for both DES passwords and MD5 passwords (in the passwd
file):

Changing local password for userhose.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: cannot set password cipher: Undefined error: 0
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

I tried setting the system so that DES passwords would be issued and I
still get the same error.

Any help would be very appreciated,

Once again the system was on MD5 and I migrated it to DES, but can not
issue a new password that is EITHER MD5 or DES after the symlinks are
changes as show above,

Any ideas

Thanks

Paul