Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:29:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Jon Larssen <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPS scenario; HOWTO?

Jon Larssen wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi,
>
> I'm adding a UPS to my FreeBSD server, and after reading docs and
> such, I think I understand the process. But I have one question
> regarding a far fetched scenario.
>
> [... Power goes out, server halts, power returns ...]

Not far fetched at all.. We power servers with 2U APC 1400's, but are
pretty conservative about when we start shutting systems down... so
we see that pretty often.

There's another thread going on in -questions right now Re: POWERDOWN
that explains how to configure APM to power down your server
completely with shutdown -p.

Some BIOSes require you to enable "Powerup after AC loss" to
automatically boot when AC power is restored. Check that, and test it
before going live.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon