Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:14:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Matt Bettinger <mattb@finsyn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw relies on ipfilter?

good thing to be confused.

here's the lowdown:

FreeBSD comes with two FireWalling packages. you can use both, or either
as you want.

they are IPFilter (aka ipf) and IPFirewall (aka, ipfw).

more information on IPFilter (ipf) can be found in
/usr/src/contrib/ipfilter. that directory has quite a bit.

to enable it in the kernel, include these lines:

	options         IPFILTER

please note that modern versions of FreeBSD should have kernel modules for
ipfiter.

IPFirewall, on the other hand, is the defacto standard on FreeBSD.

most of the briding, diverting, and similar router functions on freebsd
are done through IPFW.

enable this in the kernel with:

	options         IPFIREWALL

dig through the LINT file for more information.

-- jan