Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:27:42 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two question about UNIX(r) certification

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 18:25 ,
freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org moved his mouse, rebooted
for the change to take effect, and then said:

> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:49:07 +0000
> From: "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Two questions about UNIX(r) certification.

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> >> "UNIX Certified" what the #@$#$@ does that mean as far I know
> >> no one is in a position to make such a statement except maybe
> >> the current owner of the Unix trademark (sco if I am not
> >> mistaken)

> >> From here:

> > http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#unix

> > Mac OS X is now a fully certified UNIX operating system, conforming to
> > both the Single UNIX Specification (SUSv3) and POSIX 1003.1. Deploy
> > Leopard in environments that demand full UNIX conformance and enjoy
> > expanded support for open standards popular in the UNIX community such
> > as the OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) or ECMAs Office XML.

> This is complete and total fluff unless they say who certified
> it. And no one has legit claim to be able to do that.

Opengroup has certified it.

>From http://www.opengroup.org with a search on OS/X
----------------
              The Open Brand - Register of Certified Products

                             Certified Products

                             » Summary Register
                           » by Product Standard
                                » by Company
                                » by Recent

                               Documentation

                           » Certification Guide
                          » Conformance Statements
                            » Product Standards
                           » Testing Requirements
                                » Checklists
                                   » FAQs

                                   Links

                            » Certification Home

You are here: Certification> The Open Brand > Register of Certified Products
                           > Apple Inc. - UNIX 03

   UNIX 03

          Company Name: Apple Inc.

            Product Name: Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard on Intel-based
                                Macintosh computers
                                   Environment:

                            Registered on: 18-May-2007

                  Display a copy of the Brand Certificate in PDF

            Search the Conformance Statements database for all UNIX 03
                                   registrations

              See all the registered products for the UNIX 03 Product
                                     Standard

              See more information about the UNIX 03 Product Standard

Home · Contacts · Legal · Copyright · Members · News

© The Open Group 1995-2007  Updated on Thursday, 18 October 2007

                              Print this page

                                    [1]

That's good enough for me :-)

Bill