Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Mark Riehl <mriehl@sarnoff.mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert Socket?

if you need to read packets on the wire that are not going through your
machine, then you need bpf(4) and tcpdump(1)

if you need to INTERCEPT (and possibly modify) packets coming through your
machine you can use ipfw with divert.

If you want to REDIRECT packets then you can use ipfw and FWD.
(but that is trickier)

julian