Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:07:48 -0400
From:      Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
To:        "'CyberPsychotic'" <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ownership funnies.

(assuming 'touch foo' is creating 'foo'; i.e. it doesn't already exist...)

Check the group ownership of the directories in which you are creating 'foo'.

>From 'man open':

     When a new file is created it is given the group of the directory which
     contains it.

This suprised me too - not the way I was used to (from System V).

[Note: I was concerned about this, but have checked and...]
 - You can NOT 'chgrp' a directory to a group of which you are NOT a member.
 - You can NOT 'chmod g+s' a file that is owned by a group of which you are NOT a member.

Hope this helps.

Max
---
Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>