Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:29:06 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: messages from dhclient

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 03:03:49PM +0200, Joost van Dijk wrote:
> On Sunday 17 April 2005 13:56, Roland Smith wrote:
> > It looks to me like you're not running dhclient with sufficient
> > permissions (i.e. not as root), or you have a firewall that doesn't let=
 the
> > traffic through.
>=20
> I am logging in as root.=20

OK.

> The firewall is enabled, but I have not got up to the chapter in the book=
 on=20
> firewalls yet, so I have absolutely no idea what so ever about how to=20
> configure it.=20

Look for firewall_enable=3D"YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Remove it and reboot to
disable the firewall. If you don't want to disable it, look for
firewall_type in /etc/rc.conf and edit the relevant lines in /etc/rc.firewa=
ll
If you currently have a "client" type firewall, setting the "net" and
"mask" variables in /etc/rc.firewall might do the trick, depending on
how your network is set up.

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY