Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 01:30:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au
Cc:        AdamT@smginc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sef@kithrup.com
Subject:   Re: Mike Shaver: Netscape gives away source code for Communicator

>> Uh, no.  According to the press announcement, the source is going out
>> under the GPL.  They get the rights to see any new feature someone
>> comes up with and can't limit use of the source.  Should be free to use
>> with the *BSD/Linux/etc. CDs.
>> How they're going to deal with that and make the value added versions
>> worth paying for and not GPL'ed is going to be interesting.
> It is a promotional exercise.  They get 10000 hackers brains making
> Netscape's browser the best in the world, and so corporations will
> naturally go to Netscape for web and proxy servers etc.

This is the same sort of thing that created GCC, GDB, Emacs, and
FreeBSD.  And this is a Good Thing.  I'm just glad that Netscape
finally caught on to the idea.

> What I like about this announcement is that it necessarily becomes legal
> to carry a Netscape mirror site (I hope!)

Before we get some confusion, let me make this clear: if you
distribute a modified source or any binary, you must have alongside it
the original sources.  But I can sell you a GNU dev tools CD-ROM with
the source on it, and my obligation is fulfilled.  I needn't even
offer to sell your friend the same CD.  Or I can bring up an FTP site
with the Emacs binaries, and have the Emacs source there in the same
directory, and even if my site is up for only a day, my obligation is
fulfilled.

My point is: one common point of confusion with the GPL is that a
redistributor must keep an FTP site with the source for three years,
and this is *not* the case.

Best,
joelh

--