Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:57:12 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Edwin de Jong <mauddib@gmx.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: slight change to kldload(8)/kldunload(8)

Hrm.. It looks like you sent this to -arch after I replied to
your personal message to me..  Okay, here's my reply for
the benefit of -arch..

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 05:51:14PM +0200, Edwin de Jong wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 02:50:21PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> > > Well, the idea was that since most other tools like ps, ls, rm, cp and
> > > others also take more than one input argument.  Since in this case there
> > > are no hints to modules, this seems to be most clean option.
> > >
> > > Since shell glob substitution increases the number of arguments
> > > depending on the number of matches, this also allows you to use the
> > > shell more effectively.
> >
> > Yes, the ability to add more than one module might be useful,
> > I'm not saying it might not.
> >
> > All I'm saying is, the ability to specify options while loading
> > a module might be a bit more useful (think sound card IRQ's),
> > and adding the options after the module name is the way that it is
> > usually done in other OS's.
> >
> > And BTW, I do think that this discussion should be on a public
> > mailing list, to see how other people feel on this - quite important
> > IMHO - subject.
>
> At this moment, the function kldload only takes one arg, which is the
> filename of the module.  Indeed, I agree with you that it might be
> best to add additional arguments to specify how and where the module
> should be loaded, but this would require a change to the module system
> also.

Well, modules in -current already honor hints.  All that is needed
is a userland utility to read/set hints - I have it on my RSN TODO list
to see what I can do about the kldconfig(8) that I hacked up recently,
but I suppose kldload(8) would be another nice place to specify hints for
the module you're loading right now.

> I'm willing to look at that, and see how this could best be tackled.
> For now I think it might be best to keep the multiple arguments for a
> while.

Actually, it is kind of hard for me to think of a (commonly occurring)
situation when you'd want to load more than one module of a time :)
So basically, the question would be whether we want to *introduce*
this functionality :)

> I don't want to say that modinstall (or whatever it is called in Linux)
> is one of the best solutions, however, the automatic loading of module
> dependencies could work out very well.

Module dependencies already work quite fine - or are supposed to.
If they don't, then tackling *that* would be a much more important
project :)

> Another interesting thing is for example with the screensaver modules.
> One generally only wants to load one module at a time (only the last one
> is effective).  Actually the other modules should be unloaded
> automagically.

This is interesting - having modules "provide" some "functionality",
and either not allowing another module with the same functionality,
or automatically unloading the old one..  What if there is a third
module depending on the old one?  Points to ponder..  Points to be
raised in a separate mail to -arch and/or -hackers..

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?